[Discuss] OSHWA perspective on Arduino Yun?

Mario Gómez mxgxw.alpha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:56:42 UTC 2015

Sorry for the double-post. But I faced a simmilar problem when designing a
GPS tracker.

Option 1 was to use the integrated microcontroller on the GPS processor and
being tied to a NDA that prevents me to release any information about it.

Option 2 use a GPS module that only gives NMEA strings that is esentially a
black-box that I solder to my PCB and use an external microcontroller to
process everything.

I decided to choose #2 because even if it's more expensive it allows me to
release full documentation and even considering that I don't know any of
the internal workings of the GPS module that I'm using it doesn't prevent
me or anyone to alter/modify the design.

Which option do you think is in line with the OSHW definition?

It's simply impossible to design someting fully OSHW down to the silicon
level, however you can design it in a way that, even if you are using
modules that are essentially black boxes, it doesn't prevent anyone to
improve or replicate your project (or even replace a black box with
something fully open). The problem is when part of your design MUST be
inside that black box, and I can't think about any good reason why a design
like that could be considered OSHW.

Regards,
Mario.