[Discuss] Proposal: Open Source Hardware Score/Index

Wouter Tebbens wouter at freeknowledge.eu
Wed Feb 25 08:03:20 UTC 2015

That's a very interesting idea. Recently I got in touch with a collective of hardware hackers who have defined a selfclassification for sustainable design. Basically contributors are licensing their work under their license specifying which oshw license and some aspects about the prime materials and components used, its environmental impact. That results in some classification or ratings, and should help purchaser driven growth.
http://xctit.cooperativa.cat/licencia-cic/autoevaluacion-licencia/

I understand that these xtit hackers go a few steps further, in some sense. So it might be good to allow for extension of the json spec, to accomodate various additional classifications.

Wrt community, I agree with Javier, but the case of the FSF is quite particular. RMS is the undisputed, incorruptible long time reference in free software. We have no such reference in oshw, imho.

That said, I'm sure we can design a p2p driven process that is legally validated by the OSHWA.

Best,
Wouter

--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.