[Discuss] Proposal: Open Source Hardware Score/Index

Jeffrey Warren jeff at publiclab.org
Tue Feb 24 21:54:54 UTC 2015

I really like this idea!

Somewhat related is this idea from chatting with Alicia Gibb a few months
ago, of a contributors.json file which would fulfill (with links, short
descriptions, etc) all the terms of the OSH definition.

I finally typed up the idea and our sample format here:

http://publiclab.org/notes/warren/02-24-2015/standardizing-open-source-hardware-publication-practices-with-contributors-json

Love to hear input. Perhaps the questionnaire could generate such a file.
At Public Lab, it'd be interesting for the file to be auto-generated from
our tool wiki pages. The nice part about it is that it's not specifying a
way of browsing or aggregating projects (as other folks are exploring that
space) but specifies a standard way to make the relevant/required
information available for such projects to scrape/consume. Also, it's easy
enough to write by hand and include in a github repository.

Best,
Jeff