[Discuss] Misuse of "Open Hardware" term?

Mario Gómez mxgxw.alpha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:39:54 UTC 2015

Why not some kind of "endorsement" system. Something simmilar to what
Linked.in does, your OSHW proyect could be endorsed by other OSHW projects
AND you also can have paid OSHW certifications that it's not more than an
seal of approvation from the OSHWA, anyone that wants to pay could have it.
Taking in consideration that this a certification that the OSHWA gives to a
proyect that request it AFTER being validated by the community and also by
an OSHWA representative.

This way you can have an open-community-based validation program that
doesn't exclude small players and also give the big players this
"marketing" badge to use in their products.

The best practices can be used as a reference to the points to evaluate.
This way if a project follows all the best practices it could have a better
OSHW validation score that one that doesn't. Also is the community that
validates each project not an specific organization.

This could also work as a showcase/directory of different OSHW projects.

And it's cheap... Just hire a developer for a month,  I don't think it
needs to be resource-expensive, you can publish it on a subdomain like "
validated.oshwa.org".

Regards,
Mario.