[Discuss] Misuse of "Open Hardware" term?

Roy Nielsen amrset at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:24:30 UTC 2015

It appears that different people have different understanding of the
terms "open hardware".

Do they mean
"open schematics"
"open chip design"
"open firmware"
"open design" ?? (what does this mean?)

Can anyone think of others?

Maybe OSHWA can make some definitions, perhaps each with a logo that
vendors could use to market their product?

OSHWA could have a certification program of some kind, perhaps with a
database of vendors and their products, and a front end that could let
people search for vendors and their parts?  Perhaps identified by a
number similar to a MAC address? <XX:XX:XX>:<YY:YY:YY> where the X's are
the company identifier and the Y's a device identifier?

OSHWA could bring together some heavy hitter companies and get them to
back the system . . .

Regards,
-Roy