[Discuss] Favorite OSHW Linux computers?

Nathan Seidle nathan at sparkfun.com
Thu Feb 5 17:28:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

tldr: Read Alicia's book "Building Open Source Hardware". All of this is
covered :)

At the risk of poking the hornet's nest: you cannot license something you
do not own. In the US, ownership of hardware requires a patent. I don't
have any patents so I technically can't license any of the SparkFun
products. That said, we still stick a 'license' on most of our schematics
and board layouts simply to encourage folks to take, make, modify, and sell
our stuff.

An absence of a license does not make something closed; it simply makes it
confusing and scary to the end user: "Can I really base my product on this
design? Will the original designer come after me?". By putting a disclaimer
(make believe license) on our products we clarify that confusion as much as
possible. If a hardware company is saying it's open and they are posting
editable files I can actually find (yay Hummingbird and Inversepath!) then
I think the community should support them. We should encourage them to
include a license on the files for clarity's sake, not because it's a
requirement to claim OSHW.

@Mario - Binary blob firmware has been an IP protection tool for a long
time. I have not seen an increase in the past year - rather, I've been
impressed with the number of companies coming around to open source
thoughts. I'd rather have more open source hardware in the world even if it
means part of the firmware is a binary blob. We at SparkFun regularly
hammer on larger companies what it means to be truly open but we still
regularly come up against NDAs and cagey IP lawyers. They are getting it,
but slowly.

--
Nathan Seidle
CEO, SparkFun Electronics Inc