[Discuss] Favorite OSHW Linux computers?

alicia amgibb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:07:09 UTC 2015

+1 to Hal's explanation.

Just to clear up some confusion around licensing - Just because you can't
find a specific license (CERN/TAPR/Solderpad) to the hardware doesn't mean
something is not open source hardware. Many people use the logo and
definition to state their intent to open source hardware and then post the
source - which if done correctly does put it in the category of open source
hardware. Naturally the files that can be posted under a copyright would
need to be an open license to copyright, but for the hardware itself a
license isn't required to make it open source. Note how on the Must/May
<http://www.oshwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/OSHW-May-and-Must.pdf>and
checklist
<http://www.oshwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/oshwchecklist.pdf> of open
source hardware, naming a license for the hardware is not a requirement-
much of this is due to the murky nature of licensing hardware without a
patent.

My real concern about hummingbird is that their files end up with a 404
error. So the source isn't posted as far as I can tell from the link you
sent.

Also re: Bruce's trademark, you've stumbled on why we called it "open
source hardware" at OSHWA rather than "open hardware" - though the
community tends to use the terms interchangeably. For more - you can read
Ch. 1 of Building Open Source Hardware on the history here:
http://www.oshwa.org/research/brief-history-of-open-source-hardware-organizations-and-definitions/

Also to answer Drew's question: +1 Beagle Board :)

Alicia