[Discuss] FAQ on preventing others from claiming ownership of open-source hardware?

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Wed Sep 10 19:41:59 UTC 2014

On 10.09.2014 20:44, Jeffrey Warren wrote:
> some folks file for a provisional patent and never follow through,
> but at least get it on the USPTO's radar. Isn't it less than $100
> do so so, and doesn't have very strict formatting requirements?

A defensive publication seems the way to go here.

Depending on your hardware project, it may make more sense to
get a paper published in a scientific journal and/or conference
proceedings that match your topic instead of an IP database. Those are
much more likely to show up in searches than Github et al. ;-) and
potentially a lot more people that may actually be interested in your
work may get to know about it, too.

e.g. I've been to the one international conference my project fits in,
got the condensed (4pp) project description published in the
conference proceedings and this shows up in all scientific search
engines ever since. Such a defensive publication is timestamped
(ISBN/ISSN number), so one could actually even prove prior-art...