[Discuss] OSHWA creates one database to rule them all ...

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 17:07:46 UTC 2014

It would be impressive to see the community evolve to the point where a
business could trust everyone else to produce hardware projects that could
be profitably remixed :) At the moment the community is still struggling to
consistently replicate single projects profitably.

It will be fascinating to see what standards emerge, especially in
hardware. For example:
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/US-Metric-Conversion-Table.aspx
http://www.eicac.co.uk/Images%20Compressed/METRIC-HEX-HEAD-BOLT-DIMENSIONS.png
1/8" bolts are slightly over 3mm, but 3/16 is slightly under 5mm. So a
standard might emerge that it's better to use 5mm holes because the hole
will probably work for imperial or metric fasteners without drilling. On
the other hand, if it's a low-slop-tolerance project the standard might be
to not include holes at all, but just a dimple to center a drill because
the maker will have to control the tolerance for whatever fasteners they
end up using. Which assumptions will end up being the best, and how to
document them consistently, will be an ongoing conversation. Like how
electronics kind of standardized on resistor values and voltage levels.

We'll have to have the same thing for open hardware to take off.