[Discuss] OSHWA creates one database to rule them all ...

Will Canine willcanine at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 16:39:42 UTC 2014

I just want to play off the idea of incentives for a little bit. As an Open
Hardware company, it is enough work to maintain one's own documentation in
a highly-usable yet technically specific format, while maintaining future
product development, manufacturing & fulfillment, marketing, and other
business activities. Coordinating with everyone else in the community to
produce a commons of designs would be would be an order of magnitude more
complicated and time consuming -- for a task that does not directly produce
revenue.

I think that instead of asking projects/companies to do organize themselves
and do it, someone should start a business that aggregates open source
documentation in a standardized, browsable format, and then sells kits to
make newly "remixed" designs. Just a thought...

Go team Open Hardware!