[Discuss] Economic value of OSH work

Wouter Tebbens wouter at freeknowledge.eu
Fri Oct 17 15:26:10 UTC 2014

The idea of an Open Source Dividend is really interesting in a number of
ways:

1) it would incentivise those people sharing knowledge for the
advancement of the global commons, so a positive contribution.

2) it would imply a tax on the sale of products. This is interesting as
it channels funds from the market to pay for commodities (which in many
ways are based on the knowledge commons) to the commons, thereby helping
to establish a healthier equilibrium between commons and markets.

3) it can be done within the current legal system. Breaking down or
reforming the copyright, design right, patent and other related
regulations has shown to be hard and takes much time, in particular
because the IPR lobby is strong and has installed worldwide regulatory
systems. Instead implementing public policies to incentivise sharing
could be started at a local or national level.

Are you aware of relevant initiatives in this direction?

best,

Wouter