[Discuss] interview with Bruce Perens

Javier Serrano Javier.Serrano at cern.ch
Fri Jun 13 14:39:17 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 04:16 PM, Antoine, as a contact of a free smallwindturbine
project wrote:

> 5. FREE LIBRE: Free Libre and OpenSource terms, play(ed) "cat and mouse"
> game in Software sector, should this happen again in Hardware , ( if so,
> should we ask to Tom and Jerry how they manage this ;-) ? )

No, please, let's not allow this to happen. The software people wasted
incredible amounts of energy on that. Someone in the legal meeting we
had in Barcelona mentioned that there is an organization (referring to
OHANDA I guess) that speaks about the "4 freedoms" whereas another one
(referring to OSHWA I guess) uses the term "Open Source Hardware". He
asked the audience whether that rang a bell and everybody laughed. I
think the OSHW community is actually doing very well at avoiding sterile
debates, and I want to look at OSHWA as both the FSF and the OSI of
hardware.

I like Bruce's view that free and open are compatible and complementary,
when he says that "Open Source is a way of introducing people to the
ethos of Free Software as much as it is an economic and technical
paradigm for software development" even though he admits that "the ethos
part of the job is hardly done."

Cheers,

Javier