[Discuss] "Open" licenses

Michael McCormack mike at themccormacks.com
Thu Jul 3 12:27:30 UTC 2014

Is there anyone who routinely reviews licenses to say "yes" or "no" to
open?  I was looking at license associated the ST NUCLEO boards:

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/legal/legal_agreement/license_agreement/open_platform_license_agreement_v3.pdf

and off the top of my head, I'd say it is pretty much not what most people
consider the term open to mean as it limits my use to only their products.
 I realize that they may not have any legal grounds to limit my use, as
hardware is subject to patents and not copyrights and without a patent on
their boards they probably have nothing to license.  But my question is
more general though prompted ST non-open-license - is there someplace that
weighs in on whether a someone's new license is open or not?

--
Cheers

Mike

Michael McCormack