[Discuss] [Open Manufacturing] patent pools for defense of open source contributors

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:41:41 UTC 2014

I think the bigger problem will be patenting of something which is
"slightly" different from what's already public. That way even a proactive
defense wouldn't be able to stop the patent. Once a patent exists it can be
asserted against anything that remotely resembles it and it's up to the
accused party to defend themselves. The patent, or the case, could very
well be judged invalid, but that wouldn't do anything about all of the time
and money required to get to that judgment.

Correct me if I'm wrong. That's my understanding of how patent law (in the
US) works and the primary loophole that can (will) cause problems for open
source hardware in the future.