[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 12

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:21:40 UTC 2014

Michael,
Thanks for that clear response, but that only seems to inspire another
question(s) :)

Presumably that idea that photographs require some amount of creative
decision making has persisted, despite the fact that most photographs these
days are taking on totally automatic settings. In that case, it would seem
like all of the creativity was on the part of the team that build and
programmed the camera so that it could make similar decisions to an expert
photographer. So if a 3D scanner had to be programmed to respond to
changing conditions like a camera, would it still qualify as creative
decision making?

Do they separate the copyright that the photographer holds on the picture
itself from anything that might have been captured in that picture? Like if
I take a picture of the first page of a book, I'd have a copyright on my
picture, but not on the stuff the book says, whereas if I wrote out the
text of the first page by hand, I'd have a copyright on what that says?

Or, rather, is it more about the intention of the action? If my intention
is to create an exact copy of something, and anything other than an exact
copy would be considered a mistake, then I don't get a copyright on the new
thing. But if I want something new that just happens to incorporate, or be
inspired by, the old thing then I get a copyright on the new thing.