[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 12

Michael Weinberg mweinberg at publicknowledge.org
Wed Apr 16 20:50:37 UTC 2014

True, but that misses an important distinction.

n order to avoid copyrightability issues, let's assume you made a
non-functional spider-man sculpture that is clearly protected by
copyright.  It is true that, if I made a scan, I would not get a new,
independent copyright in my scan file.

However, my scan still constitutes a copy of your copyright-protected
sculpture.  If I don't have your permission to make the copy, I am
infringing on your copyright.  My copy doesn't need its own copyright
protection in order to infringe on your work.

--
Michael Weinberg, Vice President, PK Thinks
202-861-0020 (o) | @mweinbergPK

Public Knowledge | @publicknowledge | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036

Promoting a Creative & Connected Future.