[Discuss] Reactions to Defense Distributed?

Michael Weinberg mweinberg at publicknowledge.org
Thu Oct 31 17:36:57 UTC 2013

It may (or may not) be relevant to keep in mind the history that occurred
before Cody's project.  The first 3D printed gun upload by HaveBlue was
built upon work by the CNCGuns.com community.  This community, which was
new to me but has been around for some time, had long made available files
that could be downloaded, put into a machine, and turned into a (metal)
gun.  So, while DD got a lot of attention, it raised a lot fewer
policy/legal questions than initially appeared.

Or at least that's what we have been telling all of the lawmakers that we
met with since the first stories broke.

For what it's worth,
here<http://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/3d-printing-guns-and-dealing-new-uses>'s
the blog post version of our messaging to lawmakers.  I know it isn't
exactly what you are looking for, but it is a response that has resonated
reasonably well with people who might try to regulate 3D printing.  So it
might possibly be a helpful data point.

-michael

--
Michael Weinberg, Vice President, PK Thinks
202-861-0020 (o) | @mweinbergPK

Public Knowledge | @publicknowledge | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036

Promoting a Creative & Connected Future.