[Discuss] Legal Meetup Nov. 11th in NYC

Marketply contact at marketply.org
Sat Oct 26 18:31:55 UTC 2013

Thank you, Michael.

I think the meeting is actually a great time/place to discuss a trademark
option. My suggestion had been a reply specifically to point #2 and # that
Alicia highlighted as points of discussion:

2) Is there another area we could put aspects of oshw that is not in the realm
of a patent, but rather User Agreement or Terms of Service?

3) Continue the discussion / brain storm implementation of the layering of
openness / laundry label from the discussion list
<http://lists.oshwa.org/pipermail/discuss/2013-February/thread.html> .

Patents are expensive, although defensive publishing is a lot more affordable
and its costs can even be lowered further with a good strategy and getting
patent offices to routinely browse the system. (Providing more detail than
current patents do  video sample, pics, sample code, sample use, etc would
definitely ease the patent examiner's job and make it far more likely they'll
check the open hardware database).

Trademarks to certify can be used as an additional layer with defensive
publishing for a potent combination, or even alone pretty effectively.

And it's a great chance to discuss the trademark option because people with
legal expertise will be present to consider its feasibility.

In any case, if OSHWA likes what we do with the Freedware licensing, they can
opt to become its steward. (with the Freedware community's blessing, of course).
Instead of having duplicate efforts. Or if they want, to create their own and
we'd offer to help kick it off.

😃,

Marino Hernandez
(just a founder of Marketply <http://www.marketply.org> )