[Discuss] Legal Meetup Nov. 11th in NYC

Marketply contact at marketply.org
Thu Oct 24 16:17:34 UTC 2013

Alicia,

Think about charging from a different angle.

If we don't, then it's free for certain people to muddy the image of open source
hardware. Free to weaken the movement. Free to make businesses uncertain about
participating.

Forget patents, a license for trademark to certify goods is much easier,
especially if certifying is a simple matter of people in the OSHWA community
sponsoring you.

This system creates three kinds of incentives for genuine open hardware. Both
sponsors and the people applying stand to lose credibility for a wrong
certification. There is a penalty and loss of certification for the hardware.
And the process is 100% transparent. You're motivated to uphold best practices
in the scrutiny of fellow open hardware enthusiasts who have a strong ethos.

I'm already going that route. We trademark ' freedware
<https://twitter.com/freedware> ' and will allow people to use it on truly open
source and freed goods. The fee is perpetually waived except it kicks in for
misuse of trademark on any goods that are found closed, at which point the
license terminates after applying the fee.

The community decides if the goods violated the spirit of open source. Simple as
that. And we don't chase after anyone to pay the fee, the incentives are strong
enough that most people who stray will pay up and clean up their act.

You can wait to see how it works out for us before trying it out, of course.
It'll be an honor to have you as 'competition'. Which in any case is good for
everyone!

Matt,

The fee is accompanied by a loss of certification. We don't charge a fee for
them to be falsely certified as open.

Rest assured, friend, that a lot of thought has been put into this! We welcome
input, however. Open door policy.

😃,

Marino Hernandez
(just a founder of Marketply <http://www.marketply.org> )