[Discuss] [mil-oss] Re: Fwd: ITAR, public domain, and open source

Justin Cook azjcook at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:11:35 UTC 2013

That is an accurate assessment, but will remain a problem in that DoS has
to have a boundary for what is considered public domain.  DoS is extremely
conservative and they will always provide an answer which they can, at
least partly, quantify.  To say that anything in the internet is public
domain will never happen because it goes back to someone putting
information on the internet that DoS wants to protect.  DoS will always
consider this protected until it is officially published in some manner.
It's not the best position for State, but I also don't know how they would
say otherwise because it would put them in a difficult position in
determining what is controlled and not controlled.

Justin