[Discuss] [mil-oss] Re: Fwd: ITAR, public domain, and open source

Wheeler, David A dwheeler at ida.org
Thu Oct 10 15:17:42 UTC 2013

I stand by my earlier statement that if you *want* something released as OSS, then you really *want* "approval for public release."

But if that will not happen, then obviously you need to look at alternatives.  As always, we don't always get what we want :).   We all agree that simply "ignoring the law" is a bad idea.  There's actually been a multi-year push for significant changes to export controls, with little to show for it; we can talk about that separately if you'd like.  However, I despair of any serious fixes to export controls in the near term, even if you tried.

So I think doing what you can, and enforcing the rules as required by law, is the rational decision... just as you stated.

--- David A. Wheeler