[Discuss] Open Source Sausage?

J. Simmons jrs at mach30.org
Sun Oct 6 23:40:05 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am very excited to see how much discussion this post has generated.  As
someone who is spending more time thinking about regulations than my
hardware projects I am very passionate about this cause, and it is nice to
see I am not alone.

By the way, I love the pretzel shaped hotdogs, that is awesome.  Please
keep me posted, I want to know how that project goes.

In terms of when do we start, I would say we already have.  In terms of
what do we do next, I think getting the issue acknowledged on the OSHWA FAQ
is a good first step (thanks David).  Beyond that, I wonder does OSHWA have
a wiki it runs where we could create a list of regulatory regimes OSHW
projects are running into and what people have done to meet them?  (I
really feel like I should know the answer to that question, but I am afraid
I don't.)  We already have several examples we could list, so that should
be something that would get some traction.

Next, is there a lawyer in the house?  ;)  Or does the OSHW community have
a strong relationship with some lawyers?  One of the things Mach 30 has
learned is creating these kind of documents takes expertise.  And while we
are on the subject of expertise, we have found it often costs money, so it
may also help to consider setting up a fund of some kind to support this
work.

But, I think the most important thing for us all to do is to whenever
possible, find a way to extract the lessons and documentation required for
complying with regulations out of our individual businesses and to share
them as instructions and templates under CC licenses (listed on the
regulations wiki?) so we can start building a regulations commons.

Thanks again everyone!

 -J