[Discuss] Google the game changer?

Marketply contact at marketply.org
Fri Nov 29 20:19:34 UTC 2013

Without knowing if Bug Labs had developed in the open like Motorola will, that
will make a crucial difference.

Motorola is seeking nothing short of reinventing the mobile phone. The problems
you mention could result from working within the constraints of the established
paradigm.

A useful analogy in GPS : imagine the problems and 'impossibilities' that
engineers would've encountered had they approached GPS technology from the
paradigm of Newtonian physics. Well actually they had, and upon failure promptly
upgraded to the physics of relativity.

If Bug Labs, Open Moko, etc, were all working with components that are optimized
for the established paradigm, that could've been the problem. Motorola is likely
to work with components reinvented specifically for their new architecture of
plug/unplug DIY modules.

Because the easiest way to fail without any gain, or to pre-fail (failure by
giving up before exhausting all avenues), is to view the goal as impossible,
instead of merely doubting the current method of getting there.

Since Project Ara is being developed in the open, with community input, we avoid
the cathedral effect that can reinforce the existing paradigm and even produce
tunnel-vision. To break the existing paradigm, you need a more diverse
environment where for every set of engineers that see a dead-end, another set of
engineers see the possibilities.

What if you could bypass the solder problem entirely by merely bypassing solder
itself, with chips in the electronics using the principles of wireless power? Or
nano chips that don't use solder in a magnetic circuit
<http://www.research-tv.com/stories/technology/nanotech/> ?

The great thing about developing in the open is that more people get to see when
the team decides something is a dead end, and the extra eyes boost the chance
that someone outside the core team will have a solution.

Marino Hernandez
(just a founder of Marketply <http://www.marketply.org> )
203-429-4205