[Discuss] OSHW & Economics

FREE SMALL WIND TURBINE PROJECT PEOPLE smallwindturbineproj.contactor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 08:27:54 UTC 2013

Matt,
Inside one of the big flow of smart writing you kindly share with cool
people who subscribed to this brilliant list, I've notice this :
> The fact that it always costs money to replicate/distribute/use
> the physical object of an open source hardware project

Humm ... I'm not so sure that it *always* costs. Indeed, delivering goods
without spending 1 coins, might exist thanks to a complete chain of non
money donations, replacing money.

And ... there might be not so many differences between Free Libre
OpenSource "software" and Free Libre OpenSource "not-software goods or
services", when we speak about "economy" or "business model" of such
earthling human activities.
Let's try the following theory to explain this "no-difference". FLOS
software needs a computer. A computer needs energy. A human who design the
software needs to eat, move, be in good health, etc ... Then, a FLOS
software does not appear "by the operation of Saints". A FLOS software
needs "things, people and energy" to exist. Then, saying that getting or
using a FLOS software, needs nothing (no money, no energy, no humans needs,
no-distribution services, etc ...) is as wrong as saying the same for a
FLOS not-software goods or services. In the reality, both needs something
to exist, to be distributed, to be used. However, it is clear that if the
supply chain of FLOS not-software goods or services are fully offered for
free, then, the direct need of money does not exist. If so, the concept of
"free" could apply to FLOS not-software and services, as for FLOSSoftwares.

Then, if this theory is reliable, as Mister Richard Stallman, and as its
opponents, are right concerning the concept of "free" for non-software
goods and services.

Then, if so, gouvernance and stratgegy and operational and emotional
practices used in big or small business models of FLOS-Software earthling
human activities, might be duplicated into FLOS non-software goods and
services with the same hope of successes.

What do we all think about this theory ? Is it reliable ?

Antoine
Freely