[Discuss] OSHW & Economics

Marketply contact at marketply.org
Wed Nov 27 02:28:21 UTC 2013

Article by founder of Bug Labs saying that hardware is hard
<http://www.thestreet.com/story/11995288/1/the-digital-skeptic-it-turns-out-hardware-as-a-business-is-hard.html>
.

...the firm had its first WTF moment: Bug Labs could not find vendors for even
basic parts, including critical Wi-Fi chips.

"It was like being a software coder and being unable to buy if/then statements,"
he said.

That seems to validate Stallman's reasoning on the maker's side, and he even
doubts that 3D printing will be the answer:

"These tools are cool. We use them. But what you learn is, 3-D printers will
never replace manufacturing basics like injection-mold plastics, rapid metal-fab
and mass-produced computer chips,"

Yet plenty of existing technological feats were at one time considered
impossible because people, even good inventors, couldn't see a way forward based
on that era's understanding.

So instead of accepting 'never', if we take it as a challenge and try to find
every way possible it'll make it far more likely that we'll actually solve the
way forward.

Marino Hernandez
(just a founder of Marketply <http://www.marketply.org> )
203-429-4205