[Discuss] OSHW & Economics

Marketply contact at marketply.org
Sun Nov 24 22:12:22 UTC 2013

To add to that, Michael, open source software is easier to share but not as easy
to change or build the source, which requires knowledge that perhaps 1% of the
world possesses. That could be classified as much of a barrier to freedom as not
readily having materials for hardware.

Although now that 3D printing is revolutionizing how easily people can create
hardware, then the barrier of lacking print materials is balanced by our ability
to actually hold the hardware in our hands. Where open source software
disappears when we unplug the power source.

So it doesn't make sense to compare how difficult it is to exercise the freedom
of two things that put so much effort into propelling that freedom. They each
have barriers, merely different ones.

Marino Hernandez
(just a founder of Marketply <http://www.marketply.org> )
203-429-4205