[Discuss] OSHW & Economics

Andrew Stone stone at toastedcircuits.com
Thu Nov 21 19:40:55 UTC 2013

I produce an OSHW board.  This board was purchased by many people including
one who turned out to be a interior designer for a major European luxury
automotive manufacturer.  He has hired me several times over the past 2+
years to produce major hardware and software variations on the board.  I
had the opportunity to bid on series development but the feature was
postponed...  All hardware and library software that I produced for this
company has remained BSD licensed; the only proprietary code is is the top
level Arduino sketch (and I essentially get to define what this "top" level
is :-)).

These solutions were presented to the CEO and board of directors as part of
internal concept car reviews.

We did it in about 1/2 the time and 1/10th the cost of a proprietary
commercial solution.  Even at 1/10th the cost, this work represented an
order of magnitude more money than I need to pursue whatever other OSHW
hobby projects I might envision for the next 10 years or so.

I have had several other people approach me for other work some I accepted
some not.

So OSHW is also advertising...

Cheers!
Andrew