[Discuss] Open Source Lab, with forward by Alicia Gibb

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 06:29:50 UTC 2013

I'm somewhat of a skeptic of the claims for 3D printing as a
revolution - after all, most of the technology dates back 20 years and
the recent vogue seems to be very much a matter of expirations of
patents from that period. Some of the more interesting uses of
additive manufacturing are inherently metallurgical, which raises the
stakes: more power required, more expense, more risks. But I have to
admit that in the sciences it's got some real advantages. One of them
is reducing the barriers to repeating an experiment. You can not only
publish your results, you can publish ways to get them: designs of
your custom-engineered parts. It's in the nature of scientific
research that it creates demand for very low-volume custom component
manufacturing. Of course, a great deal can be done with cheap graduate
student labor and the sunk capital investment of conventional shop
equipment. But even those cost something, in wages and floor space.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry