[Discuss] the significance of oshw

Emilio Velis contacto at emiliovelis.com
Fri Nov 15 06:38:58 UTC 2013

This for me this is a very interesting subject, because I think open
hardware design means a regression to times where design was an organic
process. Hardware designers were a) people who created things because they
thought they were useful and needed, and b) people who really desired an
improvement in the quality of life of people. No marketing, no price
bloating, no surplus. This is where it all made sense. Communities didn't
necessarily revere makers as they do with Steve Jobs nor was knowledge on a
trade seen as an esoteric endeavor. People just created because they felt
like it, or needed, or loved to do it. That's the way collaborative
cultures thrived and developed in the beginning.

For me, the open creation of hardware pieces reminds me of the way
civilization came to grow and develop. It means to regard knowledge as
something to be seen with eyes of opportunity and to admire through work
itself. It also means to open opportunities for culturally open communities
(that is, those who haven't yet been fully infused with marketing and the
legal threats of the current IP world) so that they can also be part of the
world in terms of technology. It means social innovation, cultural
inclusion and personal opportunities, all within the scope of science and
technology.

Open Source Hardware isn't 'like' or 'analog to' software or other types of
open knowledge, since it follows the same ideal. That's all it matters. It
believes in a set of core values and it brings an interesting debate to
societies through a declaration for humanity and the way things should be.
It becomes a mirror on which modern trades and economies can embarrass
themselves over their lack of abilities to actually create value for
societies. It shows marketers the shallowness of their mot,ives it
convinces ip lawyers about how meaninglessness of their mindsets. It opens
paths for people to find out what they're missing to shape their
environment, and it also empowers communities and networks to redesign
their world through their own hands. All of that through sharing.

You can check this article I wrote on the subject of primitive design.
Original (Portuguese): http://designlivre.org/design-livre-primitivo/
English translation:
http://www.snipedia.net/2013/02/primitive-free-design.html