[Discuss] the significance of oshw

Tux Lab project.tuxlab at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 05:43:47 UTC 2013

I use Debian because of it's community philosophy but what worries me about
oshw is that manufacturing is often concentrated in countries whose
government does not embrace the concept of freedom, countries with far
worst records than the US.   I see blatant ripoffs of popular oshw hardware
where they don't even bother to alter the silkscreen stencil.

Should there be a standard in oshw manufacturing?   In the open source
spirit we can't exclude anyone, but is there anyway to formulate a
voluntary guideline on how oshw are manufactured.   Every country has
different labor laws but I think at the very least, the workers should know
that they are working on oshw products and know about the open source
concept.   They should know that there exist an open source community that
is willing to share its knowledge with everyone regardless of ethnicity,
gender, or religious background.   Knowledge if free.   Sort of like how
minimum wage and basic worker rights must be posted in a typical US
workplace.

I grew up watching the yearly congressional battle over renewing China's
MFN, Most Favored Nation trade status.   After WTO, MFN is a thing of the
past.   Oddly, without that yearly human rights review of others, US
government seems to have lost the ability for self-reflection as well.