[Discuss] the significance of oshw

Catarina Mota catarina at openmaterials.org
Wed Nov 6 13:39:28 UTC 2013

Tiberius: thanks for sending the link to your talk, it's very interesting.
I added it to the talks list. <http://www.oshwa.org/talks/>

License for the google doc and testimonials in general: how about
CC-NC-BY-SA? I like to use the NC clause on non-hardware/software content
because it protects people from, for example, having their words used in
advertisement for products.

Ownership of the doc: well, the doc is on my google account, just because
that was practical, but since the content is licensed as CC it doesn't
belong to anyone in particular.

The goal of this exercise is precisely to step away from the issue of the
definition and licenses for a moment and think about each or our individual
motivations and beliefs. One thing I've learned is that we all do OSHW for
slightly different reasons, which are often tied with our own personal
histories, contexts and goals. And it's interesting to capture and share
those personal interpretations and stories. Even just the few testimonials
we currently have up already show that diversity of motivations and goals :)