[Discuss] the significance of oshw

Matt Dexter mhldexter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 21:32:14 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I'm just writing up my PhD in design, which has been about the development of open source medical products.

For this research, the real goal was to explore the implications beyond the traditional open source benefits (copy, transform, modify- though these are still vital), and exploit the distributed nature of open design.

For instance, the traditional methods of participatory design (future workshops, design games, etc) that enable people to genuinely participate in the design process as collaborators (rather than a token effort at consultation) require people to be physically present at a specific time & location.

This presents a serious problem for some people with chronic medical conditions; what if your condition is taboo? What if there are so few of you as to mean you're geographically remote from one another? What if you're immunocompromised, and can't meet other people with the same condition?

In these instances, open design (open hardware) can be used... By exploiting the internet, and collaborative online tools (as well as Distributed Digital Manufacturing) people are empowered to be part of the development process as collaborators... rather than consumers, or consultants of already defined hardware.

In summary- my research was to build a small community of people with Cystic Fibrosis and to collaboratively design open hardware tailored to their lived experience of Cystic Fibrosis.

I'd be very happy to share the info, or discuss with anyone who is interested. Although, I might have to be a little selfish with some stuff at this stage- I do after all want to get my PhD!

Tl;dr: open hardware emancipates people to be collaborators in the design process- rather than shut out completely, or consulted to varying degrees of tokenism. Open hardware enables human flourishing by learning new skills to apply to one's own lived experience, and have a positive impact on their own well being.

I wanted to come to this year's summit & present... but a trip to the USA was a hard sell for my boss!

Matt