[Discuss] the significance of oshw

alicia amgibb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 20:56:38 UTC 2013

I think OSHWA's a great spot for testimonials - we can put it under the
Research tab?

*[I'm really nervous I might sound like a jerk with this next statement,
but I'm going to say it anyway] *As an American, I think I've been around
capitalistic thinking for so long, it's hard for me to think outside of the
standard reasons you listed. But I would very much like to hear Eric Pan's
thoughts on this, or other people coming from different cultures, but
especially China, because as I've had more and more conversations with Eric
and other folks too, it strikes me that (possibly due to not having patent
law until 1984) Chinese folks have a default mindset on sharing rather than
the default mindset American's have on protecting. And apologies for making
broad statements, there are people in both nations that have opposite views
too. But I've started to go on a bit of a soapbox when I hear the mindset
American's have of "China ripping stuff off" and I think its a vast
misunderstanding of cultural norms, and that China has been more closely
tied to doing things in an open source fashion for a greater part of
history, and that American's get taught to stop sharing after kindergarten.
(I have slides on oshw and kindergarten
too<http://www.slideshare.net/aliciagibb/alicia-gibb>.
There's a talk on it as well, but you can't see the pictures in the video.)

Getting back to your question though, I love to see and hear about people
using things differently than I would have (very much linked to the hacker
mindset) - discovering how people use hardware differently than oneself is
extremely powerful education and mind-opening. I think kids are great at
this, a one year old who hasn't had a cupcake before, thinks of eating a
cupcake very differently that you or I, scale that up to building with
Legos, using electronics, ignoring physics, etc. <-- That's also not
specific to oshw, but oshw helps when you can make the way YOU want to use
hardware a reality rather than conforming to a business / culture's way of
using hardware.

Alicia