[Discuss] Reactions to Defense Distributed?

Joel Murphy joel at joelmurphy.net
Sat Nov 2 13:09:27 UTC 2013

I don't think it's the same as a book. CAD files are more like plans and
drawings, they contain all the the specifications of how a thing
could/should be built, but it takes tools and materials and expertise to
actually pull it off.
The advent of the thing-printer is a significant moment, but anyone who has
worked with one knows that there are many opportunities for failure in the
process of making a thing. This is nothing new. The idea of making weapons
in shop class is older than our grandparents. Is the weapon-isation of 3D
printing shocking because of the (false) idea that you just have to press a
button to make it? Or that the gun is more concealable? These are paranoid
thoughts.
The are plenty of plans and drawings available for folding knives and
trebuchets. Why is the BS cloud hanging over this plastic gun demonstration
that is more likely to remove the user's finger? You could easier fashion a
garrote from some fishing twine and sticks if you really had it in for
someone. The whole thing is more about our wacky second amendment than
anything else.
And the thingiverse is responsible for editing what it publishes just as we
are in our conduct to others and what we allow into our lives.

Joel

Making the World Safe for Robots

Any noise in the prior signal has been inserted by the Nexus7
I think the only interesting questions to be raised by this 3d printed
weapon BS, is how we fundamentally view CAD, programming, and general
automation of tasks.

Is CAD a form of knowledge in the same way that a book is?

Is censorship of CAD files basically the same as placing limits on our own
ability to seek knowledge?  And is that a bad thing?  I can't help but see
books burning when I see CAD files removed from the internet.  Now I know I
am on the extreme side of pro-freedom, but I still see the opportunity for
terrible abuses in a digital fabrication age.  We've seen what DRM has done
to the publishing industry.  I walk through a used book store and I can see
the world of knowledge that amazon has all but left to rot hidden in the
dusty stacks of now vanishing ruins to a bygone industry.  And the fault is
not amazons... the fault is copyrights that are held by companies with no
desire or incentive to ensure the survivability of their content.

The future of CAD is already wrapped in a turmoil of patents, copyrights,
and political correctness.  I think we should be focused more on protecting
designs from loss.  Internet Archive and the sort may play a key role in
that better future.

But one question continues to challenge me.  "If it's so easy to <x> with a
CAD file, does it stop being knowledge?"  And it's a fair question.  When a
file represents an object, most will see it as the button they press to get
an object, and not the collection of information that defines that object.

Is it knowledge then?  Even if it contains that knowledge has the function
been rewritten by common use?

I don't know.  But I trust people to be awesome.  So I want the knowledge
to be preserved.  And I want the knowledge to be there for others to build
on if they choose, or equally ignore if they choose.  I don't want to live
in a world where people's works can be taken from them.  And that's exactly
what has happened in the past with classification of data, with DRM, and
with content as a commodity.

-Matt