[Discuss] Reactions to Defense Distributed?

Devlin Thyne dthyne at dh-global.com
Fri Nov 1 20:50:43 UTC 2013

Looking at my RSS feed from Thingiverse, it seems the last post was in
December of 2012. If you would like, I can send you all the posts since
early 2011.

Bre Pettis had a post about deadly weapons from October 3rd of 2011,
quoted below:

When we started Thingiverse we didn’t want there to be weapons on it,
but there were a number of awesome toy weapons that blurred the line and
so we changed the TOS to something more blurry and toy weapons carried
on. In fact, if you shoot anything on Thingiverse fast enough, you could
hurt someone. There have been a lot of things on Thingiverse that could
be classified as weapons, but they could also be classified as toys. A
miniature catapult is technically a siege weapon, but it could also be
classified as a toy. To summarize, our weapons policy has been a blurry
line.

Recently there has been a lot of discussion around guns since the lower
arm of an AR-15 model went up on Thingiverse. It’s a beautiful model.
It’s also the only part of the AR-15 that you can’t just mail order.
It’s been possible and legal to make your own firearms since the
beginning of the USA, but is Thingiverse the right place for deadly weapons?

We’re discussing this internally and we’re spending time exploring the
legalities of firearms on Thingiverse. We want to make sure that
Thingiverse can be accessed from schools and is student friendly and we
are exploring the implications of weapons on Thingiverse for classrooms.

It’s a controversial subject. For myself, I get a lot of satisfaction
from shooting guns in the woods at tin cans, but I also had my best
childhood friend commit suicide with a gun he bought by routing around
the registration process. I’m not convinced that 3D printing is easier
than buying a gun illegally, but it does offer another avenue for
weapons to enter the world. Will the next war be armed with 3D printers?
One thing that’s for sure, the cat is out of the bag and that cat can be
armed with guns made with printed parts.

Before we make a decision, I’d like to get the Thingiverse users’
feedback. We’re going to either change the terms of service or not, but
we want to get your feedback before we make that decision.

On Thingiverse you’ll find a poll in the sidebar with three possible
choices. Below the choices is a place for you to leave your comments.
This poll can only be seen if you’re logged in. Each Thingiverse user
can only vote once and once you’ve made your choice, the poll
disappears. I hope you’ll take the time to tell us what kind of
Thingiverse you want and use the comment section to tell us why.