[Discuss] Possible abuse of the term "open source hardware"

Chris Church thisdroneeatspeople at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 21:10:55 UTC 2013

On Mar 15, 2013, at 3:54 PM, malcolm stanley wrote:

> Hey, can i play too?
>
> I got this email from Nordic Semi and when I went to look there were NO open source drawings or other materials at all on the vendor web site...

> Wireless startup 'Open Source RF' releases the 'RFduino' for the rapidly-growing open source electronics maker movement which will support thousands of applications and is based on a Bluetooth v4.0 compatible module (the RFD51822) that employs Nordic's multiple award-winning nRF51822 SoC

I love how nothing on their website is actually open-source, AFAICT, except maybe some "example programs."  (That don't seem to be available anywhere)

 Dig the dancing in this statement:

"Open Source RF, a new venture dedicated to serving Arduino users by making high-quality, creative products for the "Maker," "DIY" and "Open Source" communities, today announced it is releasing a plug and play wireless Shield for Arduino. "

Chris