[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 10, Issue 26

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 00:07:57 UTC 2013

Hi Nathan,

So, do you mean specifically when a project is silent on certain high-value
components that make it competitive? Like, if it was really hard to find a
good connector for little modular circuit boards, so the project doesn't
want to give that information away for free, so they release everything
else. In that case they shouldn't be encouraged to call their project
"open" because they are making the conscious decision to withhold their
highest value IP.

That makes sense to me. It's not hard to establish where a project manager
stands in relation to that cutoff. Either they're holding something back or
they're not.

Would you extend that train of thought far enough to include processes in
addition to components? Like, if the connector has to be physically
conditioned (I'm thinking like a new baseball glove) before it will work
correctly, then do those details also have to be released?

If so, then would you extend it even farther to include things like
sourcing? If there's only one factory in the world that makes the thing, or
does the thing, and that factory doesn't advertise, then do they have to
release contact information to be considered more than partially open?
Alternatively, if it can be done anywhere, but it takes a lot of
back-and-forth between the project manager and the manufacturer, then do
they have to release their internal email traffic so that people know what
to ask the manufacturer for?

It's an interesting definition. I'm not going to pretend that I have an
answer on what the best cutoff is.
Cheers,
Matt