[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 10, Issue 13

Tom Igoe tom.igoe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 13:03:56 UTC 2013

I see a few problems with that:

* it implies that the files are done in advance of the product release. You really don't want to release half-baked files, even to escrow.

* projects hit delays. You could say"we plan to release by x" and for various logistical reasons not be ready to release the product by x. Better to choose a goal than a date, e.g you'll release the files when the product goes on sale. That doesn't work for non- commercial members though.

* who is responsible for maintaining the files in escrow? The oshwa board is made up of folks who both collaborate and compete with each other and other oshwa members. I trust them all because I know them personally. But is my experience universal? You're introducing a big potential conflict of unrest there.