[Discuss] On the best practices of open-sourcing things

Tom Igoe tom.igoe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 22:10:51 UTC 2013

On Mar 1, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Tom Igoe wrote:

>>  Nate's document (http://www.oshwa.org/sharing-best-practices/) seems like a good starting point, although I'd suggest rephrasing it to clarify which activities are core to the practice of open-source hardware (i.e. sharing original source / design files) and which are simply useful additions. Should we make a Google Doc (or use a wiki) to edit it collaboratively? Anyone have any specific suggestions for changes

Another thing that would be useful (this one will require a legal mind, I'm totally clueless on this):

A tool for license recommendations. Again, something like http://creativecommons.org/choose/, that basically summarizes the licenses, what they are generally applied to, and what they mean in practice. I think this would help a lot of people decide whether they should use SGPL, TAPR OHL, CERN OHL, or for firmware, GPL, LGPL, Apache, etc.

Surely OSI has something similar OSHWA could adapt?  Or maybe the Creative Commons team who developed their tool would do it?  Assuming there's any dues income available (maybe a wrong assumption), this and the other tool would be useful ways for OSHWA to spend cash.