[Discuss] What should come of this discussion?

David A. Mellis dam at mellis.org
Fri Mar 1 20:50:03 UTC 2013

Great question, Nate! I think we could use a few things:

*A definition of open-source hardware. *This we've got, although we may
need to do a better job of explaining that and how it applies to things
besides circuit boards. In most situations where things are described in
words, I think it's straightforward to be clear about which parts of a
project are open-source and which aren't. The confusion seems mostly to
arise when we're applying the logo in a situation where it's not clear what
it refers to. Which brings us to the next thing we need...

*Guidelines for the use of the logo.* This seems to be most of what we're
debating. It's complicated by the variety of ways you can use the logo and
of combinations of open- and closed-source parts that might be nearby. Does
somewhat want to take a shot at distilling the discussion down into some
guidelines?

*Best practices for open-sourcing something.* This would be great for the
community to work on. Nate's document (
http://www.oshwa.org/sharing-best-practices/) seems like a good starting
point, although I'd suggest rephrasing it to clarify which activities are
core to the practice of open-source hardware (i.e. sharing original source
/ design files) and which are simply useful additions. Should we make a
Google Doc (or use a wiki) to edit it collaboratively? Anyone have any
specific suggestions for changes?

David