[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15

Marco Perry mperry at pensanyc.com
Fri Mar 1 01:38:03 UTC 2013

A certification will not keep people from suing you for what ever they
want. One lawyer told me that if I don't open source an invention correctly
that people can sue me if they follow our BOM and instructions and hurt
themselves building our thing. I was also afraid that our invention
violated an existing patent, and open sourcing our invention would be also
somehow make us liable to a patent suit. Couple those legal issues with all
the worries around open sourcing (rip-offs, loss of business, scarring off
investor, etc.), it makes it hard to open source.
Knowing a trade organization is there to lend a helping hand - expertise,
knowledge, best practices, relevant examples that I can follow, a source of
expert witnesses if I do get sued, advocates, advisers and so forth would
make me feel more comfortable to open sourcing.
Without a cohesive trade org, everyone can define "open" as they wish, act
on their best interests (not a community interest), and it's back to
everyone for themselves.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Chris Church <thisdroneeatspeople at gmail.com

--
marco perry . principal, pensa
20 jay st., suite 800, brooklyn, ny 11201