[Discuss] [hackerspaces] [Open Manufacturing] Problems with Open Source Ecology. A Perspective

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 23:27:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Lisha Sterling <lishevita at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Diversity of people" means to look beyond your small group of friends, your
> in circle, and find opinions that do not match your own to critique your
> ideas and add their own.

Regarding Amazon's failure to implement internationalization, that's
probably because of priorities and not because your developers are
idiots. Sorry, but Amazon's a business, and they had to make decisions
about what to tackle. I am not privy to the exact circumstances, but
I'm sure there are developers that were hired early on that have
previously implemented accessibility and internationalization before.
It's really hard not to have already done that if you've done any
programming-- most libraries practically force it on you.... Regarding
a "diversity of people", just getting a group of diverse people
together (like the open hardware format commitees that were recently
assembled) doesn't mean you are exhibiting any of the signs of
technical excellence. Responding to peer review, understanding
existing standards, would be a great start, for instance...

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507