[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15

Devlin Thyne dthyne at dh-global.com
Thu Feb 28 23:50:31 UTC 2013

Consider the liability of an FCC-certified radio module that is released
as OSHW. If someone makes a copy of the module, they have to apply for
their own grantee code and do all the necessary certifications in order
to market that copy. But suppose they did not, and just copied the FCC
ID but due to some issue during manufacture or programming, broke it in
such a way that it violated the FCC rules? Then they release it into the
wild. Anyone can see the copied FCC ID, and look up the grantee code
that traces back to the original designer.

The liability of releasing the module as OSHW? I'd say a thorough FCC
investigation might be pretty disruptive to business.

Mitigation? Remove aspects of source files that are specific to the
designer and manufacturer such as the logo, company name, and FCC ID.
Setup and establish a documented process for testing and recording
serial numbers of each module prior to shipment. Be on the lookout for
wildcat copies. Document business procedures with regular accredited
establishment reviews. Except for the first, this is all the standard
covering of hindquarters that most businesses end up having to do anyways.

This is just my perspective as an engineer from such a project.

-Devlin