[Discuss] OSHW Best Practices / Layers of Openness

Chris Church thisdroneeatspeople at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:21:11 UTC 2013

On Feb 28, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Windell H. Oskay wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>  If you have intentionally decided not to share mechanical design files for *part* of your design (for whatever reason), then that seems to put it pretty squarely within the "partially open source" realm.  And, that's totally okay, so long as the labeling reflects it.

Hi Windell,

This appears to leave my earlier question un-addressed: physical parts of our enclosures are part of our trade dress, must I give the full right to reproduce our trade dress (which I would be doing if I shared the machining files under CC for our enclosures) to claim my electronics are open-source?

At what point in the product does the barrier between "must be shared," and "ok to not be shared," occur?   Can we rightfully say there is a barrier at the component level (no need to have hardware design files for the uC, a transistor, etc.) but not one at the packaging level?  I ask this because it is a point we will have to rectify if we are to create distinctions between "open-source" and "partially open-source."

Thanks,
Chris