[Discuss] OSHW Best Practices / Layers of Openness

Michael James michael at opensourcehardwarejunkies.com
Thu Feb 28 05:22:24 UTC 2013

Interesting discussion!

-I plan to release the files in 3/6/12 months, can still use the open
source hw logo?

I would agree with pretty much every one above - good intentions do not
equal OSH

-Can I use the oshw logo if my project is only partially open source?

I say yes.  I know a group that has been working for several years to
develop an OSH charge-controller for controlling the output from PV cells,
the initial idea of the creator was that they would be able to create a
module that would be designed so well and cost effective that larger
companies might want to use the charge-controller as sub components of
larger assemblies - basically design in the OSH part.  The focus of the
group has changed, but that idea sticks with me.  And while it feels
misleading to have a product with the OSH logo be only partially composed
of OSH, I feel like getting the logo into the world, especially in consumer
products, would be a boon for the community.  This may be dumb,
or manufacturing restrictive, but what if the logo had two colors.  The
blue logo means - this *whole* product is OSH (with Michael Shilohs' point
1 being the qualifier - can it reasonably be reproduced with the files
provided).  And the Orange means - this product *contains* OSH.  It seems
clear to me from the discussion that we should not neglect the partial OSH,
and I also think that we will find that "OSH Purity" is going to be hard to
define.

- How do I or will OSHWA approach a company who has the open source hw logo
on their boards but no files?
I am for letting the community shun them.

- Must supplier details be given to use the oshw logo?

I agree with Peirce Nichols here, and say no - too restrictive.

- This movement feels like you're leaving out mechanical designs /
architecture / nanotech, how can I interpret your definition to include my
projects? (This comes to us a lot, which perhaps prompted Catarina to start
exploring a space that would better include them.)

Just spoke with a gentleman about this exact issue/problem.  These people
have made a "substance" or a "material". What source files would be
necessary? i.e. Is the recipe for playdough the design file?  On an aside,
if you have any advice where I could point these folks please shoot me a
line...

- Can I release some of the software for a license, like a pro version, or
does that go against Free Redistribution, or is it okay because of clause
12 in the definition?
I say go for it.  It gives companies selling OSH an option for revenue.
 With Davids caveat that the provided software should be
necessary and sufficient for the use of the item.  And that there would be
nothing restricting the user from making there own software that would do
the same thing or better than the pro version.

- What are the best practices for releasing a piece of open source hardware
and its documentation under the definition?
I  really like how Spark Fun does it.  They list a bunch of the design and
source files right on the product page of the items - there is no digging
around for them.  I think it will be hard to define exactly what files, as
the scope of OSH includes so much stuff.  Maybe leaning back to Michael
Shilohs' point 1 being the qualifier - can it reasonably be reproduced with
the files provided.

- Can I directly copy open source hardware (sans trademark), the oshw
definition says 'yes', but articles on oshw have a resounding 'no'.
- Is a different economic model (selling hw for cheaper or more expensive)
enough to call copied hardware a derivative?
Direct copies seem a bit lame, but if the "copier" is improving a
process(es) in the manufacturing that makes the product more economically
feasible, than it seems let shady.

Best,
Michael