[Discuss] Open Hardware defintion and eagle files

Pierce Nichols pierce at logos-electro.com
Fri Sep 14 15:19:20 UTC 2012

One of the major problems is that, until very recently, there has been
no OSS PCB layout tool of acceptable quality. KiCAD only got there
within the past year (gEDA is still not there). It certainly wasn't
there when the Arduino project got rolling -- at the time, Eagle was
the only decent one available that you could use for design without
forking out some serious bucks. Switching tools midstream on a project
is a major undertaking.... and doing it purely to meet some standard
of purity is way too much to ask.

If you'd like to help things along, perhaps you could write a
conversion utility that takes in Eagle 6.* XML files and spits out
KiCAD files? That would be useful, and would accelerate the uptake of
KiCAD by making the choice to switch over far less daunting.

There still aren't any good open solid modeling packages. OpenSCAD may
get there someday (with a *LOT* of work), and Blender is not really
set up for engineering. Neither has the ability to generate the sort
of drawings generally required for most job shops and the like.

-p

--
Pierce Nichols
Principal Engineer