[Discuss] Suggestions for the OSHWA website and FAQ?

Catarina Mota catarina at openmaterials.org
Wed Oct 3 13:24:28 UTC 2012

At the OHS last week, Tom Igoe pointed out that, as long as we frame OSHW
as being for artists and engineers, we'll fail to attract others such as
social/political scholars, athletes, etc. There has also been, in my
opinion, an increasing perception that OSHW is all about
business/manufacturing and the other projects/initiatives tend to be
relegated to the shadows.

So it would be interesting to have a section about the fields in which OSHW
has applications and projects: education, natural sciences, medicine,
materials science, social sciences, humanitarian aid, arts & crafts,
environment, farming, space, transportation, manufacturing, etc.

We can all think of at least one project in each of these areas, but
outside our community not many have an understanding of how broad OSHW is.
I get asked a lot for examples of OSHW projects and I like to mention at
least one for each category, so having a page with all this info would
greatly help us explain what OSHW is and paint the big picture (that goes
well beyond any single company or project).

What do you think?

Catarina