[Discuss] OSHW questions

j. eric townsend jet at flatline.net
Wed Nov 21 15:44:12 UTC 2012

On 11/21/2012 4:56 AM, Andrew Katz wrote:

> This is an Apache-esque view, and one which I have a lot of sympathy
> for. I think open source software is gradually moving away from GPL-type

There has been some interesting (and often very wrong :-) arguments over
on the #mendel IRC channel about what you can/can't do with GPL
software.  Example: I saw a message recently saying that you can't use
gcc to make a commercial product, that this is prevented by the GPL.

IMHO, this is where Apache (and MIT and BSD) start to just make life
easier for the end users to use, re-use, and re-distribute someone
else's code. I have had umpteen long discussions with legal teams at
work about linux kernel changes and device/module source distribution.
At every meeting I would ask the same question, "so why not go to BSD?"
and the engineers would lecture me about linux vs. bsd until the lawyers
started crying...

--
J. Eric Townsend, IDSA
design  <http://www.allartburns.org>