[Discuss] DIY & Saving Energy

Donald Delmar Davis don at suspectdevices.com
Thu Dec 6 00:57:59 UTC 2012

Boganda,

Thanks for clarifying this and for introducing your company and project a little more clearly. I meant my question sincerely.

Tiberius,

That is an interesting question on multiple levels. I am currently working with a client for which I built an open source network capable data logger for.

(see: Bacomatic 5000 session notes. , https://github.com/soycamo/maplebacon, Very Good! Very Nice! Very Easy I Wish You Could Smell This.)

After coming back from the OHS my client and I have been working at nimbits which is afik is on the same business-grown-from-open-source quagmire.

(its a !$$@! mess)

In the case of my data logger I personally went open source to avoid having to sole source a solution that was specific to my clients needs and possible growth.
In my defence there was both a personal and a business case for using open source tools and the result ultimately is a win win for both myself and my client.

As to why the question is important: I have also been involved with RHOK where one of last years domain problems was solved by a company that extensively used open source funding and resources to create a product that they ultimately patented making it unavailable to those who needed it most.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Don.