[Discuss] Who is the OSHWA, members and membership,

Andrew Stone stone at toastedcircuits.com
Mon Aug 13 02:35:04 UTC 2012

Hi Mike software geek,

I was a SW geek too and now I'm a SW AND HW geek.  I'd recommend that you
not use SW methodologies to learn HW!  Buy an arduino, buy some LEDs, blink
'em then burn 'em out!  Then figure out what you want to do... buy sensors
or motors to do it.  Hook 'em up, burn your fingers as you overheat the
chips!   Read everything you can about them and all the tuts on the Arduino
forums and personal blogs, write more code.  Learn what decoupling
capacitors do.  Switch from an Arduino to raw AVR chips & and breadboard.
Make a PCB and get it built in china for 20 bucks.  Buy an fpga board an
twist your brain from a sequential mindset to thinking that everything
happens at once and is ALWAYS (at posedge) happening .

Once you've really singed your eyebrows, maybe just maybe look into SPICE
simulators or maybe MyHdl or other FPGA simulators :-).

Cheers!
Andrew

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com